Wednesday, August 18, 2010

School Bells Ring...

It seems like summer just started, but all of a sudden, I go out and stores like Target and Kohls are filled to the brim with back to school displays and deals. I can't believe we're about to embark on another year of homework and tests, projects and field trips.

With the spirit of September right around the corner, I found this great article on school nutrition today. I thought I'd share some of it's points with you.

We've all heard it before, kids who eat breakfast perform better in school, it isn't rocket science, it helps to keep them focused on the task at hand. What I didn't realize though was how important what it is they're actually eating is. I mean I knew that sugary cereals and pop-tarts weren't a perfect choice, but I didn't realize that certain fruits were more beneficial to helping a child maintain concentration than others. The general rule of thumb, according to this article, is the "darker the fruit- the better". Fruits like blueberries, strawberries,apricots, blackberries and raspberries are the best choice. The article also points out that complex carbs take longer for your child's system to break down, so they provide more energy than other carb heavy foods. For this reason, it's better to go with whole grain or granola. The article suggests a fruit and yogurt parfait as an awesome breakfast for any morning, but especially the first day of school. The dairy in the yogurt will help to keep your child call and reduce stress, while the sugar in the fruit will give them an energy boost, finally the complex carbs in the granola work to keep that energy level up long through lunch.

I use my Caradidi "Super Mom" binder to keep track of all of my various shopping lists, you can easily devote a tab to shopping lists for the kids, and make sure these awesome breakfast foods are on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment