Monday, October 25, 2010

One Day Fall Getaways!

It's the middle of Fall, and I don't know about you guys but I feel like I haven't stopped... between school and work, football games and trying to balance everything I do each week, having some resemblance of a social life has seriously fallen to the wayside... I was thinking this weekend that exactly what I need is a girl's day, but I don't have time to commit to a full weekend away from my obligations... check out these great places I found for getaways right in the tri-state area.

1. Chocolate and Chick lit. (Village, NYC)

My best friend and I did this a while back, we took the path into the village and then grabbed dinner at Max Brenner, Chocolate by the Bald Man, a really incredible and quaint chocolatier in the city. The entrees are incredible, I had a chicken and goat cheese panini with waffle fries dusted with chili powder and cocoa. Then, we walked across the street to "The Strand" bookstore. Now this is not just any bookstore... It had 18 miles of books. 18! It's crammed shelf to shelf with incredible books at significantly discounted prices, everything from new bestsellers to rare manuscripts. It's one of my favorite places, you have to check it out.

2. Warwick Valley Winery, (Warwick, NY)

This place is unbelievable. First of all, it's gorgeous. You would never realize that you're within an hour of home. It's nestled right in the countryside of Warwick, NY. The winery obviously makes all it's own wine and they have incredible tastings. They also have plays in the orchard in the summer and spring. You can bring a blanket, grab some dinner in their amazing restaurant and watch Shakespeare unfold in the gorgeous scenery of the orchards. It's incredible.

3. The Glenmere Mansion (Sugar Loaf, NY)

We went here for dinner one night. I've been to dinner a million places in Manhattan and nothing has ever blown me away like the mansion did. It's hidden away from the road, out in the countryside of NY state. You pull in and it looks like an Italian villa. When you enter, you feel like you're in the castle from Beauty and The Beast. It's filled with gothic architecture. You have two dining options, you can either eat a more casual meal at the Frog's End Tavern, which is upscale pub food, and is definitely delicious... or you can go more formal in their formal dining room. Either way you can't go wrong. The Mansion rooms are available for overnight stay's as well.

Have you gone anywhere to get away this fall? What do you do to for help relaxing? Let us know by commenting below.

No comments:

Post a Comment