Thursday, January 27, 2011

Calorie Counter Part I: The Hot Drinks Edition

It's freezing in Jersey again today and we just got pelted with another 10+ inches of snow... great. The only thing that gets me through day like today is the promise of a good latte or cappucino and flannel sheets. There's only one problem... a lot of those drinks can fill you out in addition to filling up your soul. I've made an effort to compile a list of drinks that will keep you warm, while helping you stay svelte...

1. The Starbucks Skinny.
A few years ago, Starbucks developed these little gems... less than 90 calories in a tall latte... as opposed to 212 calories in a standard flavored latte. This way, you still get your syrup flavors (caramel, cinnamon dolce and vanilla mmmm....). If you're willing to be really daring and ditch the flavors, do a standard latte with nonfat milk and it's only 50 calories!

2. The Keurig K cup
While I love Dunkin and Starbucks' espresso drinks, with the rise of the Keurig we can save money, time and CALORIES! Most K- cup drinks only have 70 calories. They have a huge variety of flavors including : mocha latte, chai tea latte, hot chocolate. ** So far, this is the lowest calorie hot chocolate I've come across... (Starbucks has 203 calories when made with skim milk)

3. Switching to Tea
I know a lot of us have ruled out tea as something for our grandmother's and the English Monarchy, but tea has become really trendy lately. With its rise in popularity tea brands have been putting out tons of great new flavors for drinkers. I'm particularly fond of herbal teas, because you drink them without milk. They have really fruity undertones. Try Starbucks' passion tea, hot or iced, with no milk and two Splendas and its 0 calories!

4. Coffee Over Espresso
Many of us have come to love the frothiness of a good latte or cappuccino, but if you're trying to cut back, switch to coffee. Add a sugar free syrup (they have no calories and can be bought at a store for around $4.00 and come in great flavors like chocolate, caramel, Irish cream, and vanilla- Starbucks also has them in caramel, vanilla and cinnamon dolce) and skim milk and you're saving almost 150 calories, but not skimping on the flavor.

I know that for those of us who are Starbucks addicts, switching drinks can be as intimidating as switching husbands, but I'm telling you, you won't regret making these healthy changes! Make sure you check back because later today I'll post Calorie Counter Part II- The Cocktail Edition, and that's definitely one you won't want to miss!

Have you tried any of these? Or, do you have another recipe for keeping warm and saving calories? Let us know by commenting below!

No comments:

Post a Comment