I think almost everyone, well maybe not everyone, but way more people than I would've originally expected, have fallen head over heels in love with the Jersey Shore. However, upon a second look, I start to wonder how the shows impacting our area's youth...
I'm a teacher, and I've overheard 12 year olds, 6th graders talking about what went down in the Jersey Shore house last night.... what?! The boozing, the partying, the sleazy and scandalous shenanigans... I mean, I get college kids enjoying the crew's antics, but middle schoolers? Really?!
What makes it worse is MTV's newest show, "Skins" adapted from a hit in the UK, is really racy to say the least. The show follows a group of very,very, very misbehaved teenagers and reportedly featured over 42 instances or depictions of drugs and alcohol as well as a multitude of innuendos about teen sexuality. It also dealt with a plot revolving around one of the teens abusing prescription drugs, the actor who plays the character is only 17. Further, for its explicit cinematography and misguided plot, "Skins" may be facing child pornography charges. Tons of brands, including Taco Bell have already pulled their advertising spots that aired during "Skins"...
What concerns me most though is the young age of audience shows like "Skins" and "Jersey Shore" draw... How do you feel about these shows? Should we turn off the TV power? or should MTV pull the plug?
Let us know by commenting below!
No comments:
Post a Comment