So you swear you're going to write that thank you note, or finally organize your address book, but as soon as you sit down to do it, you realize that the dishwasher absolutely has to be emptied right now, or that you should make dinner for next week today. Sound familiar? Trust me, I'm as much of a culprit as you are.
I'm starting to learn though, there are a few things I have to do to make studying, writing, or even cleaning successful without the risk of falling victim to procrastination.
1. Get organized- Before you start! This way, you won't feel the need to stop you're journal writing to clean up your desk or organize your space. Both your desktop and your mind will be clutter free!
2. Get Excited- Make something you love, like your gorgeous writing pen, a Starbucks latte or a cup of tea, part of mundane tasks. By incorporating things you enjoy into tasks that bore you, you can almost trick yourself into wanting to do the work, or at least make it a little less horrific.
3. Negotiate with yourself- Similar to getting excited, making deals with yourself, for example, I'm going to read ten more pages, then get up to get a cup of tea, or I will let myself buy that new Vera Bradley bag if I get all of these rooms organized this week. Negotiating with yourself will give you goals to work towards.
4. Set schedules- by setting concrete time aside to take care of the things you have to, you allow yourself to avoid getting so overwhelmed that you shut down and do nothing.
What works to keep you from procrastinating? Let us know by commenting below!
No comments:
Post a Comment