I stopped into Starbucks today to grab a Latte before I met my grandfather for lunch, and there was this girl with a beautiful writing journal. She seemed so engrossed in what she was writing, I couldn't help but consider how much material a place like Starbucks could give a writer. There were so many different people, on their way to so many different places, some staying, some going, some young, some old. I couldn't believe I hadn't ever tried to write there before. So, I decided to come up with a list of locations that seemed like great places to do free-writing. Read on.
1. Your favorite cafe, just like Starbucks, there's so much going on in a place like this, if nothing else, it's quiet enough to help you concentrate without being interrupted.
2. A place you've always wanted to go. Always wanted to check out that park up the road, but never got a chance? Grab your writing notebooks and give it a shot. Whether it's the big apple or a bagel shop, new places are sure to get new ideas flowing.
3. A place from your past. We relate best to characters we know well, places from our past, such as our high school football field or our childhood neighborhood have emotions attached to them, and those emotions will undoubtedly be reflected in your writing. Writing with some type of emotion attached to it is sure to successful.
4. A place of national significance. Especially in the northeast where I am, we live within a day trip's distance to tons of national landmarks, The site of the World Trade Centers, a whole slew of Battlegrounds or even the nations capital can be a great place to place characters in any story.
5. A Historical Site. This may sound really similar to the last one, but I'm going a different direction here, sure, Ground Zero or the Washington Monument make undeniable historic sites, but I'm talking about that little house in your town with the plaque on the front of it that you've never read, or the old schoolhouse two miles up the road that you never got a chance to check out. You've seen these places be restored time and again, but you've never taken advantage of the free tour at that colonial manor you've driven past so many times. These places have tons of character and are sure to provide some good material.
Where do you go to write? Write your tips and suggestions in the comment box below!
No comments:
Post a Comment